Stats Perform’s latest season review focuses on the standout performers from the 2019/20 LaLiga campaign.
These reviews apply advanced metrics to deliver key performance insights, at both the team and player level. The advanced metrics used in the report are derived from event data and include Expected Goals (xG), Expected Assists (xA), Expected Goals on Target (xGOT) and Sequences and Possessions.
Key findings highlighted in the review include:
– Despite being beaten by bitter rivals Real Madrid, Barcelona generated league-high total for goals (66) and xG (54.43) from open-play.
– Despite eight teams conceding fewer shots, Atletico Madrid recorded the lowest xG conceded output from open play by a considerable margin (18.9).
– As referenced in our Getafe deep dive, José Bordalás’ side press extremely high and aggressively. Their 9.1 PPDA is the lowest in the league.
– Lionel Messi ranked 2nd for xG per 90 (0.62) and 1st for xA per 90 (0.37).
– Despite an injury-plagued first season, Eden Hazard ranked 2nd for xA per 90 (0.24)
– Youngster Martin Ødegaard of Real Sociedad averaged 19 carries per 90. Only Lionel Messi (20) averaged more.
Check out our other season reviews below:
Enjoy this? Subscribe to The Analyst to receive five stories each Friday from Stats Perform. It’s free.