Ahead of the 2019 County Championship and One-Day Cup, OptaPro has produced a season preview based on performance insights from the 2018 campaign.
The preview uses bespoke metrics derived from ball-by-ball data collected from every match across both competitions to deliver batting and bowling insights, at both team and player level, which can potentially inform a team’s strategies during 2019.
Findings published in the preview include:
– Essex’s batsmen recorded the highest average in Division 1 against spin: 42.4.
– Despite being dismissed 10 times during the first 20 balls of an innings, James Hildreth scored 16.2% of all Somerset’s runs.
– Surrey’s bowlers boasted the best economy rate against an opposition’s first four batsmen during the first innings: 2.8
– Sussex seamer Ollie Robinson created 579 wicket chances during the season.
– Hampshire and Somerset were the only teams to have a strike rate of over 100 against seam and spin.
– Heino Kuhn scored 422 runs in winning chases on Kent’s run to the final.
– Sussex’s bowlers were the most effective bowling unit at the death, ranking first for Economy (5.7), Dot Ball % (40.7) and Balls per Boundary (13.5).
You can read the full season preview here.
A preview for the 2019 T20 Blast will also be available on the OptaPro website later in the summer.
If you have any questions relating to our findings, please get in touch with us on email@example.com.