OptaPro’s latest season review focuses on the standout performers from the 2018/19 Serie A campaign.
The review features a comprehensive breakdown of performance at the key ends of the pitch, as well as insights on team playing styles, both in and out of possession.
Detailed player analysis also features, with key advanced metrics ranked across different positions.
Key findings highlighted in the review include:
– Napoli recorded the most open play shots of any team, however their total xG output was slightly behind Atalanta, who posted over 100 fewer shots.
– From defensive set-pieces Udinese conceded the most shots, with chances worth a combined season xG of 18.6. However they only conceded nine set-piece goals during the campaign.
– Torino were the only Serie A side to record a PPDA total below ten, reinforcing their high-pressing approach.
– Arkadiusz Milik ranked sixth for xG per 90, with 35% of all of his season goals coming from outside the box.
– The top two players for xA per 90 both came from Atalanta: Alejandro Gómez and Josip Ilicic.
You can read the full Serie A review here.
This in-depth analysis of the Italian top flight follows on from other reviews published earlier this month, which include analysis of the English Premier League and Championship, as well as insights into the performance of emerging talents across seven other European leagues.
If you have any questions relating to our findings, please get in touch with us on email@example.com.