OptaPro’s latest season review looks back on key performances during the 18/19 La Liga campaign.
By showcasing applied metrics exploring playing styles, approaches out of possession and finishing ability from set pieces and in open play, the review offers key performance insights ranked at both team and player level.
Key findings highlighted in the review include:
– Eibar recorded the lowest PPDA total and the highest number of turnovers, reinforcing their high-pressing approach.
– From attacking set pieces Alavés led La Liga in set piece goals, exceeding their xG output which also ranked highest in the league.
– In addition to ranking second for xA output per 90, Denis Cheryshev created 5.8 chances per 100 passes, more than any other player.
– Sergio Busquets demonstrated an effective, combative playing style in midfield, starting more open play sequences than any other player.
– Behind the league’s top performing goalkeeper, Jan Oblak, relegated Girona’s Yassine Bounou was the only other La Liga stopper to prevent more than 10 goals compared to his projected xGOT.
You can read the full La Liga review here.
This in-depth analysis of the Spanish top flight adds to OptaPro’s collection of season reviews, which include the English Premier League and Championship, as well as Italian Serie A. Alongside this, OptaPro have also published a review of emerging talents across seven other European leagues.
If you have any questions relating to our findings, please get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org.