Thanks for your interest.
Please see two resources which we are currently maintaining for sports trading professionals. These resources give early visibility of competitions introducing new rules which may have a material impact on their trading.
⚠️ Use the filter / sort functionality to see new competitions implementing VAR
Updates from September 2021, you may have missed:
Updates from August 2021, you may have missed:
- CONCACAF to introduce two new major international women’s competitions
- Expanded World Cup Qualifying in 2022
- W Gold Cup in 2024 with 12 nations, including four guests
- Premier League: Referees to stick with lenient approach to fouls/tackles: Implications for trading models
Updates from July 2021, you may have missed:
Updates from June 2021, you may have missed:
- Away goals rule scrapped in Uefa competitions including Champions League
- Major League Soccer (MLS) to launch development league in 2022
- To include ~20 teams in its first year, including several MLS-operated teams playing in the USL Championship and League One.
- 20-26 game structure will begin in late March, leading into playoffs and a championship game slated for early December.
- Independent teams will also be eigible to participate in the U.S. Open Cup
- Cheltenham Festival prepares to add fifth day from 2023
- Change would see six races per day instead of the current seven, with two new races added taking the total to 30.
- New competition: United Rugby Championship to commence in September 2021
- The top clubs from South Africa (Cell C Sharks, DHL Stormers, Emirates Lions and Vodacom Bulls) combine with the Guinness PRO14 to create a world-class 16-team league.
- The URC will use one league table to rank the teams who will reach the knock-out stages and compete to reach the title and become the champions.
- Fixtures: The regular season of the United Rugby Championship will take place across 18 rounds with each team’s fixtures comprising of six (6) Home AND away fixtures against their regional pool opponents and12 Home OR away fixtures against the remaining teams in the league
- Ligue 1 to shrink to 18 clubs from 2023/24
- Four teams to be relegated from Ligue 1 in 2022/23, with two promoted from Ligue 2
- Cricket World Cup to revert to a 14-team format with a Super Six stage
- Total number of games will increase to 54 from 48
Updates from May 2021, you may have missed:
- UEFA set to scrap away goals rule
- Change will affect the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League competitions.
- IFAB agrees to extend five-sub rule until December 2022 due to COVID-19 impact
- Japan announces inaugural women’s football pro league for 2021
Updates from April 2021, you may have missed:
- T20 World Cup could be moved to United Arab Emirates, says BCCI
- Wimbledon to end middle Sunday break from 2022
- Formula 1 to introduce sprint qualifying at three Grand Prix in the 2021 season
- New Zealand National Basketball League to adopt: Team Fouls in Overtime rule as used in the Australian NBL. Which means as follows:
- In the event of a game going into Overtime, the team fouls for both teams will return to 0-0.
- During the Overtime period when a team reaches its third team foul it will result in the opposition team being awarded two free throws.
- The same rule will apply to any subsequent Overtime periods.
- AFC set to launch Women’s Champions League in 2023
- US Soccer, MLS, NWSL to Trial Concussion Substitutions
Updates from March 2021, you may have missed:
- UEFA to lift 30% COVID limit on crowds
- UEFA extends use of five substitutes at Euro 2020 and 2021 Nations League finals
- Explainer of the proposed Champions League format changes (from 2024)
- 2021/22 Premier League season start dates announced [14th August 2021]
- World Rugby unveils new global competition, WXV, to launch in 2023 with 16 teams across 3-tiers
- CONCACAF plans to launch Women’s Champions League in 2023/24
- BCCI announces IPL 2021 schedule (9th April – 30th May)
- EHF announces new Men’s U19 EHF Euro Championships to take place in 2021 (12th-22nd August)
- Pakistan Super League postponed due to COVID-19 cases rise (tournament scheduled to run until 22nd March)
Updates from February 2021, you may have missed:
- Concussion substitutes to be trialled in SPFL from March 6
- 2019-21 UEFA Under 21 Championships to introduce concussion substitues trial
- MLB: New ball being introduced, implications for betting?
- League of Ireland to introduce concussion subsititons into six competitions for the 2021-22 season [tracker above updated]
- Premiership Rugby scraps relegation for 2020-21 season
- Azerbaijan, FIFA to discuss introduction of VAR in national league
- CONCACAF Champions League game volumes to expand to 140+ for 2023-24 season (up from 30 currently)
Updates from January 2021, you may have missed:
- Concussion substitutes to be introduced in the Premier League and WSL from February 6th. FA Cup to introduce from the 5th round.
- Premier League to allow permanent concussion substitutes
- New competition: Japan Rugby Union League to debut in 2022
- EFL League Cup: Five substitutions allowed in the semifinals and finals
- WTA announces first twenty weeks of the 2021 tour
- NBL revises 2021 season opener schedule
Updates from December 2020, you may have missed:
- BNP Paribas Open to not be held March 8-21 2021 as originally scheduled. New tournament dates tbc.
- CONCACAF to introduce VAR at 2021 Champions League and Gold Cup
- ATP announces tour calendar up until April 4th 2021
- WTA announces first seven weeks of 2021 tour
- English League Cup final pushed back 2 months to April 25th. Final is due to take place at Wembley.
- Inaugural NBL Cup to take place in Melbourne starting Febuary 20, 2021
- NHL 2020-21 regular season schedule announced, starting January 13 2021 (56 games)
- Billie Jean King Cup 2021 Finals and Playoffs moved to April 2021 (13-18 and 16-17 April respectively)
- Amended tour dates: England to tour Sri Lanka and South Africa to tour Pakistan in January 2021
- New competition: Indian Premier Handball League to launch December 24th
- Tournament date change: Asean Football Federation moves Suzuki Cup National Team tournament to December 5, 2021 to January 1, 2022, cancelling the 2020 edition
- Diamond League 2021 to return to 32 disciplines (had been 24 in the previous edition)
- England and South Africa ODI Series abandoned due to COVID-19
- Cyprus First Division to implement VAR from matchweek 14 / 11th December
- England’s ODI Series versus the Netherlands rescheduled to 2022
- Women’s Rugby World Cup to expand to 16 teams from 2025
Updates from November 2020:
- EFL to increase the permitted number of substitutes to five in all EFL fixtures for the remainder of the 2021/21 season
- Big Bash League implement three rule changes for upcoming competition