The sun has set on a record-breaking UEFA Women’s Euros, with over 87,000 in attendance to watch England beat Germany 2 – 1 in extra time, the highest attendance In Euros history (Men’s or Women’s).
As interest in the women’s game grows, so does the use of data. Let’s take a look at some of the ways our Opta data was used to elevate the fan experience.
Data-Driven Storytelling Through Our Data Editorial Team
Our Data Editorial team covered the competition from start-to-finish providing pre and post-match packs, facts and infographics to a variety of clients:
- RTVE used Opta Data and infographics to cover Spain’s matches. Advanced metrics like Momentum played a key role in telling the story of each fixture.
- We helped Switzerland’s largest broadcaster SRF enrich their Euros offering with our pre-match analysis packs in French, Italian and German.
- The FA used our Opta Facts on their official website, providing fans with pre-match facts to build anticipation for each game and post-match reports with supplemented with simple data visuals.
- The Daily Mail used Opta Data for an article on the Lionesses’ Alex Russo.
Deep-Dives Into Players With The Analyst
The Analyst followed the tournament from start to finish, demonstrating how our Opta data can enhance the fan experience, here’s how they did it:
- Comprehensive tournament preview and key players to watch articles, peppered with Opta facts and data visualisations.
- A tournament prediction article showcasing out powerful AI powered prediction model, with the model successfully predicting all four semi-finalists , and even predicted the Lionesses to win.
- A Stats Hub, showcasing all our Women’s Euros Widgets.
- Previews for key matches.
Check out the Women’s Euros page for more.
Social Media Takes Centre Stage
Our Stats Perform and the Analyst TikTok channels played a key role at the tournament, providing behind the scenes and analytical content for key matches:
- The Analyst weighs up England’s chances of victory.
- Get a behind the scenes look at England vs Austria from our on-the-ground journalists.
Increasing Engagement Opportunities Through Fantasy
Opta data was used to power Starling Bank’s Women’s Euros Fantasy football, thousands competed with first place winning an eight-seater box at a women’s final fixture in 2023:
Storytelling In Broadcast
The BBC used Opta data to supplement their coverage of the tournament, providing context on key players in the build up to a game and statistics once the final whistle had blown.
Player Data Offers New Betting Markets
Opta-powered player stats betting markets were used by the UK’s biggest bookmakers during the competition:
The Stats Perform News team were on the ground throughout the competition providing video coverage for hundreds of pre/post-match events and stories in 6 different languages. They also conducted exclusive interviews with big names throughout the tournament and attended numerous press conferences. Our on-the-ground news team grew by 400% for this competition (compared to the 2019 Women’s World Cup) to ensure we were able to deliver the coverage demanded. Below is an example of a data-led video created by our news team and used by FIFA + to give context to Beth Mead’s player of the tournament accolade.
With a number of major tournaments fast approaching, including the 2022 FIFA World Cup, get in touch today to find out how we can help you deliver memorable fan experiences.